Anyone who knows me, knows I love books. Not just any books, but normally books that are very rich in theology. Most of the books I love happen to be written by very old dead guys- but not all. I have not always been a big reader- actually not until the summer after my senior year of college (2004). But since that summer, I have been addicted to books that help me see God better. Since that summer I have accumulated about 150 books on my own, and they are precious treasures to me! So my friend Brienne (www.plantedheretogrow.blogspot.com) and I decided to post our top lists of books we love. I also decided to let you in on what is currently on my future reading list- I would love to finish this stack in the next 2 years or less. But we'll see....
I just finished a great book: "God's Abundant Life" by Henry Scougal modernized by Steve Hanchett. This book is an updated version of "The Life of God in the Soul of Man". The book was great but I think I'm going to read the original and just use Hanchett's version as a stepping stone. Sometimes when someone "updates" a book, things get lost and I do not want to miss out on any of Scougal's thoughts.
I am currently reading two books that I would already recommend: "The Silent and Soft Communion: The Spiritual Narratives of Sarah Pierpont Edwards and Sarah Prince Gill", by McCulley and Baker. I am also reading "Heaven A Far Better Place" by Eryl Davies.
So with no further ado Here is my top list of books I have read over the years that I would recommend: (I tried to make it a top ten list and just couldn't get it down any further) haha.
14."Living Holiness" by Helen Roseveare
13. "Rachel's Tears"- The Spiritual Journey of Columbine Martyr Rachel Scott
12. "A Chance to Die"- The Life of Amy Carmichael by Elizabeth Elliot
11. "Power Through Prayer" by E.M. Bounds
10. "The Pursuit of God"- by A.W. Tozer
9. "A Hunger for God"- by John Piper
8. "The Believer's Joy" by Robert Murray McCheyne
7. "Don't Waste Your Life" by John Piper
6. "Stepping Heavenward"- Journals of Elizabeth Prentiss
5. "The True Christian's Love" by Thomas Vincent
4. "True Discipleship" by William McDonald
3. "Because We Love Him" by Clyde Cranford- I have now read this book 4 times all the way through and hope to read it at least four more times before I die. Absolutley priceless to me.
2. "Knowledge of the Holy" by A.W. Tozer- by far the most effective and challenging book in the way I see God- I think every Christian should read this book.
1. "Valley of Vision" A Collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions by Arthur Bennett- I have also read this little book at least four times all the way through. This little treasure is what I read before I open my Bible during my time with the Lord. It is matchless in preparing my soul to meet and love God. This book is a springboard for worship.
Now here are the stacks which I hope to devour in the next two years:
I would love to hear anyone else's fav's- so feel free to leave me a comment.
"When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, also the books, and above all the parchments." 2 Timothy 4:13